Serenity of the Sea

Serenity of the Sea

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Feb. 12. 2013

our strawberries
Every region has its food specialities which are popular with residents and visitors alike. In the North Country, we have michigans, a hot dog covered with a special sauce, that the locals claim are unique to this area.  Due to the French Canadian influence, poutine is offered at many restaurants and anything made with or covered by maple syrup is appreciated. When one departs from a certain geographic area, one also leaves its culinary delights. Growing up in Oregon, we were surrounded by acres of strawberry fields, green bean patches, filbert trees and  miles of farms harvesting such foods as cabbage,cauliflower, and broccoli. The Willamette Valley offers a veritable feast! Recently, I came upon a jar of jam in a speciality food store. This wasn't just any jam; it was marionberry jam.  Marionberries are large, delicious, juicy, sweet blackberries grown near my home town of Salem. I bought that container of jam and sent it to my youngest son. He likes marionberries as much as I, particularly in Umpqua ice cream, but I wasn't able to locate the ice cream! I guess we will have to wait to go to Oregon to savour that again!

























No comments:

Post a Comment