Serenity of the Sea

Serenity of the Sea

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Feb. 27,2013

I think we Americans tend to put too high a price on unanimity, as if there were something dangerous and illegitimate about honest differences of opinion honestly expressed by honest men.
J. William Fulbright

the path to cooperation is not always straight
People feel most comfortable when others agree with them, validate their opinions, and compliment their styles. We seek others like us and avoid those dissimilar. Generally I find some trait that I like in each individual even if there are characteristics that I don't appreciate. My act of kindness today was difficult, but important. I gave a card to someone with whom I often disagree philosophically. We have had discussions in which I felt my ideas were dismissed; however, perhaps he  believes that I  am unwilling to understand his point of view. As I told him recently, " we will agree to disagree." So, today I gave him a card to express birthday wishes. Life is too short to dwell on the differences among us when there are many tasks to accomplish together.

No comments:

Post a Comment