Serenity of the Sea

Serenity of the Sea

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Mar. 19, 2013 Election Day

“Democracy is the government of the people, by the people, for the people”   Lincoln

 
 
Preservation Hall, New Orleans
Today is the local election day in my village, and I am on the ballot. I will be elected to serve as a trustee of my small community because I am running unopposed, but the larger question which remains is whether or not there will be a village whose needs I can fulfill. The major issue before the voters is a dissolution of our village. Whatever the outcome, I will work for the betterment of this area. We are so fortunate to have this process called democracy; although, it often seems messy and emotional. Recent meetings have brought citizens out of their homes to hear the pros and cons of this proposal. It is encouraging to see the all too common apathy disappear as residents seek knowledge and involvement in a situation which will affect them.  When I went to vote today, I brought a freshly baked apple cake to the election workers. They have a busy evening ahead and will appreciate a treat. Remember to vote on your next election day!

No comments:

Post a Comment