Serenity of the Sea

Serenity of the Sea

Thursday, April 25, 2013

April 25, 2013 Honoring Others With Trees

For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver. ~Martin Luther
Plantation Tree, Louisiana

Tomorrow is Arbor Day, an event which was first organized in 1872 to encourage citizens to plant and care for trees. I have always found trees to be majestic and protective; I admire their branches brushing the sky and their shelter from the gentle rains. I planted my first tree at the age of seven. It was a willow tree that my father helped me to place in our small back yard among the lumber mills of a little town in southern Oregon. I checked on that tree off and on over the years and marveled at its growth. Today I gave cards to several of my colleagues informing them that trees were planted in their honor in National Forests. I selected these recipients because they all represent dedicated teachers who also care deeply about the community we live in. They don't ask for special recognition, but they deserve to be acknowledged for their commitment to the betterment of our region.

No comments:

Post a Comment