Serenity of the Sea

Serenity of the Sea

Saturday, April 27, 2013

April 27, 2013 An Early May Day Tradition

Today's Surprise
When I was young, there were traditions associated with May 1, or May Day. One custom was to put flowers in a basket and then leave them on the doorstep of a neighbor. I remember in first grade we learned the steps to weaving ribbons around a May Pole which seemed extremely complicated at the time, but resulted in a beautiful pattern of colors. I was inspired to celebrate May Day early today because the conditions were perfect - my daffodils are blooming and the sun was shining. I put two bouquets of  those cheerful yellow flowers in vases and went for a walk. The first I gave to my neighbors across the street . Since they were home, I couldn't perform this task secretly, but they seemed pleased by my gift. The second container, I placed on a table near the front door of a family I don't know. I hope they were excited and surprised to see the bright yellow faces of these perky daffodils!

No comments:

Post a Comment