Serenity of the Sea

Serenity of the Sea

Friday, January 11, 2013

Jan. 11,2013

It is winter, and the flu season is upon us. The Kleenex and hand sanitizer on my desk are disappearing like ice on a hot day in July. One student in particular came to me this week lamenting that she always gets sick. This lead to a discussion about her diet and the importance of good nutrition. She stated that there are rarely fruits or vegetables in her house, and although she would like to eat them, they simply are not available. The cost of these foods can be a factor when one is grocery shopping. Many people have to pass up fresh produce because it is expensive. On my way to work this morning I stopped by the grocery store to buy some fruit for this girl. The beautiful wooden box filled with cute clementines caught my eye. What a perfect surprise for my first period class! I set a few aside for the intended recipient and handed the rest out to everyone.  A lovely citrus odor filled the room as all savoured those little oranges. There is nothing like a small gift of food to brighten the day.

Two actions happened yesterday that are worth noting as I continue this journey to spread actions of kindness. First, a young man out on a walk stopped to help an elderly woman who was struggling to shovel ice from her driveway. She gratefully accepted his offer of assistance. Second, a teenager asked me to help her find a place to volunteer to help victims of storm Sandy during the school vacation. Her parents told her to choose a location for a senior year getaway, such as Myrtle Beach, and she has decided assisting those in need is how she wants to spend her days off from school.

No comments:

Post a Comment