Serenity of the Sea

Serenity of the Sea

Monday, January 7, 2013

Jan. 7,2013

Is there any job more difficult than parenting? There are no real instructions to study or directions to follow. This child arrives, and we face continuous on the job training for the next two decades. All of one's family and friends have advice to offer, but each child is unique, and there is never a one-fits -all solution. Parenting, also, does not come with frequent rewards. The personal joy in seeing those first steps is soon forgotten as the toddler dashes out in the road to chase the cute kitten. There are moments of pride when certain milestones are reached, but often we are simply pleased with the lack of negative reports. No news is good news to many of us.

I work with over one hundred students each year. It is rare that I have a child that I can't connect with on some level. I may not agree with all of their decisions or understand their reasoning, but almost always, I find something that I treasure in them. I believe that parents need to know this, so today I wrote several messages to those parents. These may not be the shining stars academically or athletically, but they are good children who deserved to recognized. It is important to let their parents know that their hard work  is paying off .

No comments:

Post a Comment