Serenity of the Sea

Serenity of the Sea

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Jan. 20, 2013

Apartments in Italy
For over a century, Monday was wash day. Doing the laundry demanded strength and endurance to carry the heavy buckets of water, hand wring the clothes, and tote them out to the clothesline, so women tackled this chore after the day of rest, Sunday.Nowadays the majority of us give little consideration to which day of the week we throw a load of clothes into the washing machine.However, about one third of the population still must plan their laundry tasks because they use the laundromat.I have been part of that group, and I value the convenience of washing clothes whenever I want.Today I stopped by the local laundromat. The odors of the detergent and the dryer sheets combined to transport me to long ago days of dormitory rooms and rented apartments. As I heard the swish of the agitators and the rumbling of the drums, I recalled hours of waiting for loads to finish. There were few people tarrying there today.I quietly walked to two machines and placed the quarters in the neat coin slots. I hope this made the next customer's wash day more pleasant, especially since it was actually their day of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment