Serenity of the Sea

Serenity of the Sea

Thursday, May 16, 2013

May 16, 2013 Trip to Quebec

American and Quebecois Students, Candiac, Quebec
One can not truly learn to communicate well in another language without understanding the culture. I am fortunate that a couple of miles to the north of my school live thousands of francophone people. Today I accompanied sixty students to a school in Quebec to visit their pen pals. It was an interesting experience to watch both groups interact with limited language skills. I was proud of my students for their behavior and enthusiasm in an unfamiliar situation. My Quebecois counterpart has worked diligently to keep this program flourishing. This afternoon before we departed, I gave her a book of stories about Americans who have shown determination in their lives during difficult circumstances. I believe that our small project helps confront misunderstanding between nationalities when often we are more alike than not.

No comments:

Post a Comment