Serenity of the Sea

Serenity of the Sea

Monday, May 27, 2013

May 26, 2013 Memorial Day: Honoring the Fallen

Grave of American Revolution Soldier
Today is Memorial Day, formerly known as Decoration Day, which was created after the Civil War to honor those men and women in the Armed Forces who have died while serving our country. My plan was not very successful this afternoon, but for a good reason. I had decided to place a small American flag on the grave of a service member in some quiet cemetery off the beaten path. However, every graveyard I came upon already had miniature Stars and Stripes waving brightly from the wooden poles. Finally I located one marker from World War I who was lacking a flag, and I placed one next to it. Nearby, I noticed that another flag had been blown out of the ground, so I replaced it, pushing firmly and hoping it would stay in place. Please remember these brave soldiers who fought for our freedoms, but never returned home to be able to live them. They are the heroes of the United States of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment