Serenity of the Sea

Serenity of the Sea

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Sept. 19, 2013 #undertheweather

Under Dreary Weather, Columbia River
I admire those cashiers who always offer a friendly greeting and a pleasant smile as I unload my cans, boxes and produce from the shopping cart on to the conveyor belt. I imagine their job can be difficult- hours of standing at a cash register, numerous customers complaining, unmarked items, unhappy children, etc.. Those employees who can maintain a positive outlook deserve recognition and empathy. Today, when I approached the store clerk, she was sociable and professional as always, but I could hear a slight hoarseness in her voice and a stifled cough in her throat, and when I asked how she was feeling, she explained that she had recently been ill. I was certain that she still felt under the weather, but was hiding it remarkably well. I bagged all my groceries to give her a brief respite from working, then wished her a quick recovery. She seemed grateful for my comments and my action. I hope she feels better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment