Serenity of the Sea

Serenity of the Sea

Monday, September 2, 2013

Sept. 2, 2013 Cemetery Flowers

Cemetery In Winter, Keene, NY
I consider a cemetery a quiet little park filled with history, names, and dates of those who led lives often with similar dreams to those we have today. Family, friendship, laughter, food, and shelter are common human desires; I imagine those folks sought to fulfill the same needs. A cemetery will always catch my eye as I drive by or when I am on a walk, for it piques my curiosity to read the gravestones and wonder what they contributed to the community in which they rest. The graveyard near my house is well kept, but I noticed today that the flowers so lovingly planted on Memorial Day needed weeding. I spent some time there this afternoon removing the old blossoms and pulling out stringy vines that have passed their prime. The remaining flowers looked brighter without the brown clutter of leaves around them. I think the living will appreciate this splash of color among the gray stones and green grass as the final days of summer pass by.

No comments:

Post a Comment