Serenity of the Sea

Serenity of the Sea

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Nov. 10, 2013 #Polarisproject

Light in the Darkness
Some unknown force has led me to reading about slavery recently. I read The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grisson and Toni Morrison's Beloved, both of which expose the horrors of slavery. Tonight I will see the movie, 12 years a Slave, which has a connection to upstate New York. If you believe that I am living in the past with these issues of slavery, you are quite mistaken. There are an estimated 60,000 slaves in the United States today. This is an issue that we don't want to acknowledge, and even when we are aware of it, we often choose to ignore. So my deed for today is to spread the word, send a donation, and become better informed. Please check out the Polaris Project and sign their pledge to help those controlled by human traffickers. Slavery didn't end with the Civil War. We all need to learn the signs and assist these victims. I hope you will share this message with others who care.

No comments:

Post a Comment