Serenity of the Sea

Serenity of the Sea

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Nov. 16, 2013 My Aunt

My Aunt, My Uncle, and My Mother
I sent a package to my aunt today. You may be thinking that this action is not very special; people mail gifts to family members frequently. But this is an important deed because this woman, the only sister of my mother, will be delighted to receive mail, and especially happy to open it and find coloring books. A serious illness which nearly killed her over sixty years ago changed her life forever. Her body continues to age, but her mind is still young. Sweet, soft-spoken, and caring, she loves to sing and color pictures, but her fears are strong making her timid and unsure.  The highlight of her solitary weeks are my mother's visits when they share stories while having a cup of tea. My aunt is special - not because of beauty or wealth or athleticism or talent. She is unique due to circumstances that have made her life difficult physically, mentally, and emotionally. Most importantly, she is grateful for a kind word, a small gift, a simple song, and attention from those who love her. I know she'll love her package, but not as much as I loved sending it to her!

No comments:

Post a Comment