Serenity of the Sea

Serenity of the Sea

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Aug. 18, 2013 Champlain School District No. 9#schoolhouse

School House
There are no old photos of the one room school house called Champlain District No. 9 which closed in 1931, but the building has been rescued and moved to a safe location not too far from its original spot. A former student has dedicated much time and effort to restoring the structure, and a group of citizens is working to continue the renovations of the building. I attended an open house there this afternoon where I was able to meet three residents who attended the school as children. It was fascinating to listen to their stories and view the pictures and displays. My deep belief in the power of education and my strong connection to teaching through my father and grandmother, make this school house project dear to my heart. It was important to give a donation as well as offer my assistance in future plans that may arise. I feel we are often too quick to demolish old buildings which truly represent an significant part of our past. We should protect them as a reminder of what has contributed to the development of our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment