Serenity of the Sea

Serenity of the Sea

Monday, August 5, 2013

Aug. 5, 2013 Traveling the Back Roads


 
 Charles  Kuralt

Concord, MA
If I had my druthers, I would always choose to travel the back roads. Fields, forests, diners, and Mom and Pop stores line the routes between the villages and towns. One feels the history unrolling before the car-a barn halved collapsed, a small church at a quiet crossroads, a monument to the local soldiers who served our country proudly. I can understand wanting to visit these forgotten areas, so when I came upon a couple today photographing an old building in the center of my community, I understood their fascination with its history. They asked where they might find other historic structures in the neighborhood, and I directed them to a street filled with beautiful houses built years ago. They were appreciative of this information. If only we weren't always in such a rush to arrive at a destination, we would realize that there are many points in between which offer beauty and knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment